Looks like this is sort of a thing now… saying here’s a list of 10, 50, 106 “must follows” on twitter, just as we’ve seen with Business Insider’s “106 Finance People You Have to Follow on Twitter”, BrightScope’s “25 Most Socially Influential Advisors”, and so forth.
But there doesn’t seem to be a list we could find of alternative investment folks, and specifically those focused on commodities, managed futures, and global macro strategies. The more we dug into why that is… the more we found a big hole where all of the people in the alternative investment space should be… There just aren’t that many of the 1000s of commodity trading advisors out there sharing their views on twitter.
Come on guys… it’s 2014!! Time to join the party and show the world just how smart, funny, sarcastic, and charismatic us futures folk can be. Twitter isn’t about telling the world what you had for lunch like we all feared back in 2010. It’s the modern day business card. It’s a 24/7 virtual conference where you’re simultaneously talking with hundreds if not thousands of people – it’s the new frontier where wit wins! So go on over and sign up and start making us smarter… or at least making us laugh.
In the meantime, here’s our compilation of people and firms currently out there on twitter (in no particular order, despite the numbering) providing the latest insight, humor, debate, and news on investments – especially the alternative kind:
- @rcmAlts – of course… it’s our list!
- @Cimmerian999 – Cliff Asness (AQR)
- @JaffrayW – Jaffray Woodriff (QIM)
- @rjparkerjr09 – Jerry Parker (Chesapeake Capital)
- @AllJimRogers – All commodities, all the time
- @mmelissinos – Michael Melissinos (Eupatrid Commodity)
- @TrendFollower9 –Andrew Abraham CTA
Interesting Alt Folks
- @Covel – Michael Covel – President and Founder of Trend Following firm—Best Selling Author
- @JBoorman — Jon Boorman, CMT – Avid Tweeter. Calls markets like they are. Believer in Trend Following. Enough said.
- @nntaleb — Nassim N. Taleb – Author & Developer of Black Swan Theory
- @jackschwager — Jack Schwager – Co founder of FundSeeder.com
- @MebFaber – Author, Founder & CIO Cambria Funds, and launched an ETF
- @JohnFMauldin – Strong belief in educating investors as to what drives the global economy.
- @PeterLBrandt – Been in the Biz since 1976. Considered one of the greats when it comes to classic trading books. Included in the Top 30 most influential people in finance by Barry Ritholtz. Runs a blog. We could all learn a thing or two from him.
- @mark_dow – Runs the Behavioral Macro Blog — Hedge Fund Manager
- @FatF1nger – Provides some interesting commentary and charts on the futures markets.
- @PlattsOil– Everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) about the energy markets.
- @JezLiberty – All about Automated Trading Systems, Trend Following, and blogging about the two.
- @ScottChantigny — Always on top of Alternative, Managed Futures, and Trend Following news
- @AlpineAdvisor – Jeffrey Dow Jones (yes that is his name) helps investors with their portfolios, and uses education material similar to Attain to educate about portfolio construction.
- @FuturesTrader71 –If you’ve ever followed the Emini S&P contract, you’re already very aware of FuturesTrader71. He provides daily insight on the emini market and engages with followers about the market as it’s happening.
- @MarkMelin –Mark Melin – Alternative Investment Practitioner, Value Walk contributor, Provides Commentary on Managed Futures
- @David_Stendahl — Focuses on trading the global futures markets from a 100% systematic perspective.
- @MissTrade – Matt Davio – Heads up Market Profile Trading Academy
- @EmanuelDerman – The Derivative Relations Between the Emotions and Pain, Pleasure, and Desire
- @pointsnfigures –Jeffrey Carter – Former Trader – Interesting Commentary
- @jacobbunge – Ag reporter for WSJ
- @shorecap — Mark Shore – Adjuct Professors at Depaul – Educating on Managed Futures and writes for CBOE & Eurex
- @JLyonsFundMgmt – Dana Lyons – New Yahoo! Contributor — RIA and founder of My401kPro.com
- @iBroker — The simple, intuitive app for trading Futures, Forex & Futures Options wherever you are…
- @jameskoutoulas — White shoes advocate, CEO of a CTA, on Board of Directors for NFA, President of CCC. All other times, you’ll find his thoughts on twitter.
- @JohnLRoe — Commodity Customer Coalition CO-Founder
- @WalterGallwas — President & Founding Partner
- @Eizenbergj — Jeff Eizenberg — Director of Portfolio Management
- @Cummingsjohnb — John Cummings — Director of Business Development — (Be on the lookout for tweets about Dayton University Basketball)
- @gadamsick— Greg Adamsick– Director
- @cavychi–Michael Cavanaugh — Investment Advisor at RCM Wealth Advisors
- @JackMalone_RCM–Futures/ Options Advisor
- @bradbardmatthew–Matthew Bradbard– Director
- @jurijt–George Tkaczuk– Senior Portfolio Manager at RCM Wealth Advisors