The saying typically goes “A little bit of sweetness can drown out a whole lot of bitterness.” But here at RCM, the saying “A lot of holiday sweetness is causing us all to enter a chocolate coma that we can’t escape” may more accurately describe our situation. Holidays tend to be centered around all things sweet – from traditional holiday cookies and cakes to chocolate covered everything (when we say everything, we mean everything). And while sweet giving of all kinds is always appreciated by our team, we are about to hit our chocolate covered limit.
Our aim isn’t to be a bunch of kranks; we encourage drowning bitterness and celebrating the holidays, so we write to you to suggest new ways to share your sweet giving. Here are a couple options for you to spread that holiday cheer, sans cocoa:
- Donate to Camp Kesem, a nationwide organization led by college students that supports children through and beyond their parent’s cancer.
- Go green by donating to Friends of the Chicago River. Their mission is to improve the health of the Chicago river system to benefit the surrounding people, plants, and animals. This one hits close to the team at our home office.
- By donating to Camp One Step, you’re funding a program that helps empower, support, educate, and provide some fun to children (age 5-19) who have been diagnosed with cancer. (Fun fact: RCM Alternatives Investor Relations Manager, Lauren Berliner, is involved with the charity, donating her time as a camp counselor).
- Don’t forget our furry friends, they need love too! Consider donating to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) which is the largest humane society in North America, and makes a difference right in your neighborhood .
- We also have a some team members that are involved with the Sky Foundation, a foundation that provides funding to scientists and clinicians who are pursuing research for early detection, prevention and treatment of pancreatic cancer.
- Since we are in the financial industry, we also like to suggest Help For Children (formally Hedge Funds Care), which is a cause that helps prevent and treat child abuse both locally and abroad, and is primarily supported by the alternative investments community.
- Donating also doesn’t only have to be about the amount of money you donate, but can also be the time. Volunteer with the Salvation Army or at your local food bank to give back in a different way.
- And if none of these organizations support something that matters to you, pick your own cause using Just Giving or GoFundMe.
Happy holidays, and happy giving!