Happy May the 4th everyone.
That’s Happy Star Wars Day to those not in the know. As in ‘May the 4th be with You!’ If you’ve been following along with the Derivative Podcast this past year, you’ll have noticed we had a veritable who’s who of the volatility trading world on the pod. Those so skilled at the game of volatility, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to consider them Jedi of Vol. We’ve talked to Benn Eifert, Cem Karsan, Vineer Bhansali, Hari Krishnan, Jason Buck, Wayne Himelsein, Joe Tigay, Kris Sidial, Brett Nelson, Matt Thompson, Pat Hennessy, Jim Carrol, and Lily Francus to name a few; and actually ask them at the end who their favorite Star Wars character is.
These folks understand that there is, to quote Obi Wan Kenobi, “an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.” Obi Wan was talking about the Force, of course; but we would wager each of the volatility specialists we’ve had on the podcast would just as easily say similar thing about volatility. In fact, replacing ‘the Force’, with volatility in some memorable Star Wars quotes works pretty darn well.
“For my ally is the [Volatility], and a powerful ally it is.” – Yoda
“Now I know there is something strong than fear — far stronger. [Volatility].” – Kanan Jarrus
“Don’t underestimate [Volatility].” – Darth Vader
“That’s not how [Volatility] works!” – Han Solo
Which brings us to our latest Star Wars day tribute (view the original here). This time, we’re giving a nod to those Knights of Volatility Trading. These Jedi who resist the call of the short volatility dark side and go out into the galaxy with nothing more than their faith in the light side of the Force (well, and a lot of math). Without further ado, the Jedi of Vol Trading =
Want to hear more from these Volatility Trading pros? Here’s links to blog pages that include their episode on your favorite streaming platform and/or YouTube:
- Benn Eifert: “Vol, Benn There, Done That”
- Cem Karsan: “Vol Curves and Vanna Charm”
- Hari Krishnan: “Sequencing, Skew, and (Option) Strikes”
- Jason Buck: “Protecting Against a Market Mutiny with Tail Risk, Convexity, & Long Vol”
- Joe Tigay: “Valuing VIX and Volatility”
- Kris Sidial: “Wallstreetbets busts Wall Street WTF^%$#?”
- Lily Francus: “Yep, She’s Opening Up Option Eyes with Nope It’s Lily”
- Matt Thompson: “Market Up/Vol Up…Market Down/Vol Down..WTF^%$#?”
- Pat Hennessy: “Market Up/Vol Up…Market Down/Vol Down..WTF^%$#?”
- Vineer Bhansali: “Taming Tails with LongTail Alpha’s Vineer Bhansali”
- Wayne Himelsein: “Human Behind the Hedge Fund”
- Brett Nelson: “Seeking VIX Certainty”
& for all other resources around VIX/Volatility (including additional podcasts, whitepapers, blog posts, etc…) check out this page.